Glossary

Glossary:

Altiplano: High plateau of the Andes at an altitude of about 4000 m.a.s.l. reaching from southern Peru over Bolivia to northern Chile
Arequipa: Provincial capital in the South Peruvian Andes. Second most important town of the country
asado: BBQ
Araucanía: The province of Chile in which Pucón is located
Ceviche: Kind of salad of marinated, raw fish or seafood
Cevicheria: Restaurant specialized in Ceviche
Chicha: maize beer
Chiriuchu: Typical plate served for Corpus Christi in Cusco
Chuño: Dehydrated potatoes
Combi: Minibuses, public transport in Arequipa
Cayma: District of Arequipa
Inca: a.) Precolumbian people in the Peruvian Andes, b.) The leader of the Inca nation
Machu Picchu: Quechua for "old mountain", a.) a mountain in the Cusco area, b.) the village close to the ruins of the same name, c.) the archaeological excavation of the ancient Inca settlement
Malbec: Red Wine, typical for Argentina
Mapuche: Native people of southern Chile
Nuevo Sol: Currency of Peru, S/. 1 = 0,33 €
Pablo Neruda: Chilean poet and winner of the Nobel Prize
Pisco: Destillate of grapes, Peruvian and Chilean national drink
Plaza de Armas: Generally the name of the main square of Latin american towns
Quechua: Spanish term for the language of the Incas
Santiago (de Chile): capital of Chile
Sillar: white, volcanic rock of which the old town of Arequipa is mainly constructed
Temuco: capital of the Araucanía
Valparaiso: Port town and UNESCO World Heritage Site
Yanahuara: District of Arequipa

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Huerquehue National Park


View from the park to Lake Tinquilco and Volcano Villarica
After we had found all Easter eggs and passed the holy weekend well I decided to go trekking in the nearby Huerquehue National Park the following weekend after a few days of rain. I wanted to take some relaxation before we start with the construction of our sauna and that for the days will be busy again. Weather was awesome again - pure sunshine and 20 degrees C. My plan was to cross the park in two days camping at hotsprings that are situated right at the border of the park. Unfortunately the rain of the days before in the higher altitude of the park had already been snow and so I had to change the plan. I made the touristic standard 'Three Lakes' Hike which brings you to two waterfalls, three amazing lagoons surrounded by native Monkey Puzzle Tree forest and several viewpoints with tremendous views of Volcano Villarica. Inded I partially already had to hike through wet, heavy snow. Back at the park entrance I had to think where to stay overnight. The only official place to stay that had been open still was quite a trendy and that for expensive tourist resort which I wanted to avoid. Because I brought all my camping stuff I decided to sleep instead of that on a campsite I know from my last time here. Only problem was, that it was closed already due to offseason. Well at least it was for free. I had to climb over the fence, almost fell down doing that due to the weight of my backpack but finally entered safely and slept in between Coligue (the Chilean version of Bamboo) bushes at the lakeshore. The second day I started a hike up the highest peak of the park (almost 2000m a.s.l.) but again was stopped by lying snow halfway up. I did not mind because the day was beautiful and so I made a large lunch break enjoying the unbelieveably fall coloured landscape. So far I always had been here in summer when everything was just green but this time the oncoming winter had already painted the trees and bushes in hundreds of shades of green, yellow, red and brown. In between the black to emerald green shining lagoons and dots of white snow. It was a that perfect painting how only nature itself can draw it. I really enjoyed the peacefulness and tranquility of the place and came back to Pucón quite relaxed and happy.
Back here the construction of our sauna and cafeteria had begun and we are living on a construction site. The whole lot is full with builduing materials and crossed by various diggings. Two of them I digged myself the last three days until my hands now finally are full with bladders and still brown of mud after several showers. Apart from that my arm hurt for a whole day like seriously damaged. Well at least I can typewrite again and today I took a day off from the construction just being lazy at home doing some household. But tomorrow the plumber which is a friend of mine is coming and I will help him to put the first pipings. I keep being busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment